skip to content

Department of Psychology

Q. What annual funding is available for MPhil and PhD students in the Department?

MPhil and PhD students are able to apply for up to £900 per year for personal research consumables. In order to access these funds, you will be sent a form during your first term which you must complete to indicate you wish to apply for this funding. The allocation of any funding is discretionary. The deadline for applying for this funding is 1 month from when your Academic year starts any application past this deadline will not considered.

Q. Who is eligible for this funding?

All MPhil students are eligible. PhD students are eligible if their funding body does not provide funds for personal research consumables. If you do not know, please check with your funder before making this application

Q. What is personal research consumables?

Annual funding may be used to support student research projects (e.g., pay participants, purchase materials) and to cover costs associated with attending research conferences.

Q. How should I record my receipts and expenses and make a claim?

Please see the instructions and procedures, please follow the instructions on ‘how to make a claim’

If you are making a claim in two different currencies, you should enter the currency that the expenditure is in and support that with a bank statement which would normally show any currency translations. If this cannot be supported by a statement, this should not be translated by you as the University system rate will be used.

Q. Who in the Department is supposed to sign my claim form?

Your claim form will need to be signed by your supervisor and sent to

Q. I am planning to travel, should I use a specific travel company?

Key Travel is the University’s Preferred Supplier for travel and so you should always refer to them when booking travel in the first instance

If travel cannot be booked with Key Travel, you should contact Accounts for advice before proceeding with any other alternative. If any travel is personally arranged and paid for without seeking advice then it is your sole responsibility if anything goes wrong, as it is outside the parameters of the University and the ‘duty of care’ that is attached to University suppliers.

Q. What is the deadline for submitting expense claims for annual funding?

The financial year is from 1 August through to 31 July, however, the deadline for you to make your expense claim is the 31 May. Taking this into consideration, the expense will be taken from the time the activity is carried out therefore an the activity happens in August it would be accounted for as part of the new allocation

Q. Can I carry over my annual funding?

No, you are not able to carry over unspent funding to the next year.

Q. I have heard that there is Fieldwork funding available in the Department, how does this work?

Fieldwork funding is only available if you are a PhD student. Each year during Michaelmas term PhD students are asked to make an application for fieldwork funding that is going to take place during the next academic year. Applicants are notified of the outcome of their funding application by the end of December.

Q. What is the deadline for expense claims for Fieldwork funding?

All expenditure has to be used before the end of the financial year (31 July).

Q. Who can I contact if I have any queries?

Please contact the Accounts Department –